By PAUL SIMS
It has been a busy week for East Oktibbeha County Volunteer firefighters, with the latest incident coming in the form of a motorcycle fire Thursday.
Around mid-morning Thursday, firefighters were called to East Lee Boulevard Thursday morning on the vehicle blaze. The motorcycle caught fire while it was parked, and there were no injuries.
On Wednesday, a blaze in a one-bedroom apartment off Blackjack Road left fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the unit, said Greg Ball, chief of the East Oktibbeha Volunteer Fire Department. The call came in around 2:15 p.m. as a structure fire, Ball said.
The fire took place at University Village off the intersection of Blackjack and Muirfield roads.
“After we got in route, we were informed that smoke and flames were visible. At that time, we requested back up from Bell Schoolhouse and District 5,” Ball said. He says that upon his arrival, he found that the Sheriff’s Department was on scene.
Deputy Scott Helms used an extinguisher on the stove and hood and put out the blaze, Ball said. East Oktibbeha firefighters vented the building of smoke and removed debris.
The kitchen cabinets, stove and vented hood were destroyed; smoke damage remained throughout the apartment. No other units damaged. He said this was a grease fire.
No one was injured and the apartment’s occupant was on the only one at the apartment time of the fire, Ball said.
He said fire officials urge people to become familiar with fire extinguisher use and keep smoke detector batteries in place and checked frequently.
Earlier this week, East Oktibbeha firefighters answered a call for a car fire at the Pointe apartments around 4 a.m. Monday to find a vehicle fully engulfed in flames, with the blaze spreading to nearby parked cars and encroaching on one of the apartment buildings.
Siding on the building melted and the blaze generated a great deal of smoke, blocking the view of the path of the heat and smoke.
County firefighters called the Starkville Fire Department to bring in their aerial platform as smoke emitted from the two-story building’s eaves.
Fire officials inspected the upper wall and roof areas to make sure no fire moved behind the walls.
Two buildings were evacuated, with residents allowed to return once officials determined the blaze did not make its way into the building.
East Oktibbeha firefighters also responded to a separate car fire at Chadwick Apartments off Lee Boulevard Sunday. No injuries were reported in that fire.