SDN Staff Reports
Here is a list of closings and other updates related to the winter storm:
• Volunteers with OSERVS (Oktibbeha-Starkville Emergency Response Volunteer Services) remain on standby to open a shelter and
feeding center at downtown area churches should a wide-spread power outage occur. Information about whether a shelter will open will be posted if circumstances dictate.
• All City of Starkville administrative offices will be closed today because of the inclement weather. Essential departments, including the police and fire departments, will be fully staffed. Other departments will be staffed to respond as needed to storm-dictated needs.
• The Oktibbeha County Human Services Department offices will be closed today.
• The Starkville School District, Oktibbeha County School District and Starkville Academy have cancelled classes today.
Parents, teachers, staff and students for all three school systems are advised by school officials to pay attention to local media outlets and the respective websites for updated information about closings and school activities today.
• Mississippi Department of Transportation officials are urging motorists to drive as safely as possible if they must travel today amid icy road conditions.
For the most up-to-date information in the area, visit the website at http://www.MSTraffic.com  and sign up for traffic alerts. Visit http://www.mstraffic.com/mobile  to get the latest traffic information from MSTraffic.com on cellular phones.
MDOT officials advise the public to pull off the road to a safe location if you need to check the www.mstraffic.com  website while driving
For more information, please contact MDOT Public Affairs Division at (601) 359-7074 or visit http://www.GoMDOT.com .
• Mississippi State University has canceled all classes today. All campus residence halls remain open, though university dining facilities are closed, with the exception of Perry Cafeteria, which is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. today. The MSU website will be updated with information on Tuesday’s activities.
• The Starkville-MSU Community Band rehearsal scheduled for 6 p.m. today has been cancelled and will be rescheduled for Jan. 24.
• The Starkville Rotary Club has canceled its noon meeting scheduled for today at the Starkville Country Club.
Since next Monday is the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday, Rotary will not meet again until Jan. 24.
• The special election for Northern District transportation commissioner on Tuesday is set to take place as scheduled.
“Mississippi faces the possibility of the lingering effects of winter weather on Tuesday for the special election,” says Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann in a statement Sunday. “Our Agency does not have the authority to cancel any election in the State. Therefore, unless ordered otherwise, we will proceed with the election as planned. We will continue to monitor weather conditions across the State and work with local and county officials to communicate issues which may arise from potential weather conditions. We encourage all Mississippians to ensure they participate in the election process, but to do so in a safe manner.”