By CARL SMITH
County firefighters were again dispatched to the Sunset community yesterday for the area’s second structure fire since Wednesday.
Central Oktibbeha County volunteer firefighters arrived at 78 Finley Drive at approximately 1 a.m. Saturday. Upon arrival, emergency responders observed smoke erupting from the structure’s roof and flames following a vent.
Oktibbeha County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said no occupants were at home when the fire began and no injuries were reported.
“The fire was basically contained in the attic area,” he said, “although portions of the ceilings in a bathroom and adjoining kitchen were breached in order to extinguish all pockets of fire.”
Rosenhan said an electrical problem in the home’s attic is believed to have started the fire.
County firefighters fought a similar attic fire Wednesday at 1068 Horseshoe Circle, the main gateway road for the Sunset community.
In both cases, Rosenhan said the fires originated in the attic from an electrical problem. Flames spread above the ceilings and between the walls of both homes.
Additional manpower and water was provided Saturday by District 5 volunteer firefighters.