Skip to main content

SFD contains fire, saves house from destruction

February 14, 2012


Starkville Fire Department officials say a Monday structure fire on Sand Road was ignited by the prolonged use of a heater.
SFD dispatched Ladder No. 1 and Engine No. 4 to 272 Sand Road at approximately 2:22 p.m. Monday after receiving an emergency call in regard to a chimney fire. Two occupants were home at the time of the fire, SFD Fire Marshal Mark McCurdy said Tuesday.
Once on the scene, firefighters observed smoke and flames in the building’s attic.
“The home was equipped with two wood burning heaters that were vented to the outside through the attic space. With the cold temperatures the night before and that day, the home owners had been burning a lot of wood to keep warm,” McCurdy said. “The heaters’ vent pipe running through the ceiling and attic space had dried the wood around it in the attic. With prolonged use of the heater, it built up enough heat to ignite the attic wood framing.”
Firefighters gained access through the building’s tin roof with a K-12 saw, McCurdy said, and a quick attack prevented the fire from spreading to the rest of the home. No one was injured in the incident, and the home was saved from complete devastation.
“SFD would like to remind everyone to please check and make sure your home’s smoke detectors are in working order,” McCurdy said. “We always experience more fires in the winter months and need everyone to be aware of the conditions of their home’s smoke detectors. These detectors really do save lives.”

Latest Videos

Tanner Fant of Starkville , Miss. will travel to Mobile, Ala. on Sunday, June 14 to participate in the 58th...
Drinking a beverage that tastes delicious and has good nutritional value is like having your cake and eating it, too.
Pasta, bread, pizza crusts, peanut butter, fried foods, beef, even certain types of chips — these are all foods that...
The memories of April 21, 2008 when we went to the Boston Marathon still lingered in our hearts and souls on April 15...
Emily Jones Deluded Diva My neighbor, (I'll call her Brenda for the sake of anonymity), is one of the best things that...


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes