By CARL SMITH
Starkville Fire Department officials say a Monday structure fire on Sand Road was ignited by the prolonged use of a heater.
SFD dispatched Ladder No. 1 and Engine No. 4 to 272 Sand Road at approximately 2:22 p.m. Monday after receiving an emergency call in regard to a chimney fire. Two occupants were home at the time of the fire, SFD Fire Marshal Mark McCurdy said Tuesday.
Once on the scene, firefighters observed smoke and flames in the buildingâ€™s attic.
â€śThe home was equipped with two wood burning heaters that were vented to the outside through the attic space. With the cold temperatures the night before and that day, the home owners had been burning a lot of wood to keep warm,â€ť McCurdy said. â€śThe heatersâ€™ vent pipe running through the ceiling and attic space had dried the wood around it in the attic. With prolonged use of the heater, it built up enough heat to ignite the attic wood framing.â€ť
Firefighters gained access through the buildingâ€™s tin roof with a K-12 saw, McCurdy said, and a quick attack prevented the fire from spreading to the rest of the home. No one was injured in the incident, and the home was saved from complete devastation.
â€śSFD would like to remind everyone to please check and make sure your homeâ€™s smoke detectors are in working order,â€ť McCurdy said. â€śWe always experience more fires in the winter months and need everyone to be aware of the conditions of their homeâ€™s smoke detectors. These detectors really do save lives.â€ť