Second suspect charged after shooting at Starkville apartment complex

Tyler Smith

Ryan Phillips
SDN Editor

A second suspect has been charged with attempted murder after a man was shot multiple times during a drug deal at a Starkville apartment complex last week.

On Friday, the Starkville Police Department arrested 19-year-old Tyler Smith, of Louisville, on a felony warrant for attempted murder after Bobby Spratt Jr. was shot at The Block Townhomes in the 600 block of South Montgomery Street on the night of Aug. 16.

SPD Public Information Officer Brandon Lovelady said bond for Smith was set at $250,000 and his initial appearance in Starkville Municipal Court will be on Monday at 6 p.m. unless he bonds out.

Earlier this week, SPD and the U.S. Marshals Task Force arrested 19-year-old Carson Clement on the same charge. Clement was taken into custody in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and transported back to the Oktibbeha County Jail, where he remains with bond set at $250,000.

It is unclear at this time if other arrests are expected in the case. Police have also yet to confirm if Spratt will face charges once he is released from the hospital.

According to a court document obtained by the Starkville Daily News through a public records request, SPD Detective Kenley Reaves alleges Clement attempted to kill Spratt by shooting him in the head and back multiple times on the evening of Aug. 16.

Spratt was transported to OCH Regional Medical Center following the shooting and was immediately airlifted to University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.

The Starkville Daily News reported earlier this week that investigators confirmed Spratt was in stable condition.

The document states the shooting occurred while Clement was in the process of purchasing or selling marijuana. Officers responded after the call was received around 10:20 p.m. that night.

Any further details on the cause of the shooting and the marijuana sale are still unclear.

During Clement’s appearance in municipal court on Thursday, his public defender Marty Haug waived Clement’s initial appearance rights.

He also delayed Clement’s bond hearing to Aug. 29 at 2 p.m.

Starkville Municipal Judge Rodney Faver previously set Clement’s bond to $250,000, but the official bond will be set during the next hearing.

As it stands, Aug. 29 is the next date Clement is set to appear in court. However, Clement may appear in court on Aug. 27.