Martin to serve five years for taking motor vehicle

Faith Lifer
Staff Writer

A Starkville man will serve five years in prison after pleading guilty to taking of a motor vehicle worth more than $1,000 but less than $5,000 in Oktibbeha County Circuit Court.

Michael Martin, 32, pleaded guilty to the count in a plea deal, and was given the state-recommended sentence by Circuit Court Judge Lee Coleman. Martin will also pay $1,200 in fines and costs.

However, no restitution will be made in the case. On Sept. 8, 2017, Martin took possession of a 2003 Chevrolet pickup truck owned by Charles Lance Portera. Martin entered the truck through an unlocked door, and the victim looked out the window to see his vehicle leaving his property.

Portera and others caught up with the truck parked off a nearby street and confronted Martin, retrieving the keys to the truck and a pocketknife.

Martin claimed he had purchased the truck earlier in the day then walked off. When law enforcement arrived a bystander was able to identify the knife as belonging to Martin, and directed the officers to him. Martin was then arrested and charged with the crime of felony taking of a motor vehicle.

Martin has two prior felonies on his record, one grand larceny and one burglary of a building.


Cameron Miller of Louisville was sentenced to five years probation for breaking and entering by Coleman. He will also pay $639.84 in restitution and a $1,200 fine.

At 2 a.m. on June 14, 2016 Miller was caught on surveillance attempting to break into the Army Navy Pawn Shop located at 412 Highway 12 West in Starkville. While attempting to break in, Miller and two others triggered an alarm and fled. Law enforcement arriving to the scene found the lights on, a door broken open, cut links of chain and a hammer on the ground nearby. Louisville Police later stopped a vehicle matching the description from the surveillance video and found bolt cutters and a hammer similar to those found at thescene. Miller was then transferred to Starkville and confessed his involvement.

Following the pulling and swearing-in of a jury, William Jones decided to settle his case. He will serve 10 years in prison with three suspended on the charge of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Upon release, he will then serve five years probation.