Couple loses home in fire on Oliver Jackson Road

The fire began around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday on Oliver Jackson Road - a dirt road in Oktibbeha County - and was still smoldering around noon, according to Oktibbeha County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan
By: 
RYAN PHILLIPS
Staff Writer

No injuries were reported in an early morning house fire in Oktibbeha County, but the house is being classified as a total loss.

The fire began around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday on Oliver Jackson Road - a dirt road in Oktibbeha County - and was still smoldering around noon, according to Oktibbeha County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan.

At least two vehicles were also severely damaged in the fire.

“The firefighters battled the fire with two pumpers and two tankers,” Rosenhan said. “After fighting the fire, the building was considered a total loss."

At this time there is no confirmation of what started the fire.

The Central Oktibbeha Volunteer Fire Department and the District 5 Volunteer Fire Department responded to the blaze.

Rosenhan encouraged those in the community to check smoke detectors, extension cords and heaters as the cold season approaches

Brian Kelly, owner of City Bagel Cafe and Italian Bistro, knows the family well and told the Starkville Daily News they did not have homeowners insurance, so donations are being accepted at Restaurant Tyler.

The couple living in the home lost everything, and Kelly provided a list of needs for the family in terms of clothing.

WOMEN'S CLOTHES: size 9 shoes, size 10 pants and large shirts

MEN’S CLOTHES: size 3x shirts, size 56 pants and size 15 shoes.

This is a developing story. Follow the Starkville Daily News for updates.

Category: